~ PO Box 253 ~ Balaklava ~ South Australia ~ 5461 ~
Revised March 2016
PLEASE NOTE THE RULES ARE REVISED EVERY YEAR
** PLEASE NOTE A FEW UPDATES FOR 2016 **
(See Rules 7, 11, 13, 14, 21)
Entry forms: These will be available for download on our website on the Forms page (www.balaklavaeisteddfod.org.au/forms.html). If unable to download the forms, contact The Administrator, Balaklava Eisteddfod Society, PO Box 253, Balaklava SA 5461 or contact Trish Goodgame 0417 891 834 or Di Spence 0419 030 581 with your details. Only ONE entry form is to be used per entrant/family.
2. Payment: The appropriate fee or proof of payment must accompany each entry Form. If in doubt re amount due, check first. Posted fees are to be remitted by cheque or money order only, made payable to Balaklava Eisteddfod Society. Send payment WITH entry form to The Treasurer, Balaklava Eisteddfod Society, PO Box 253, Balaklava SA 5461. Payment may also be made by direct Bank Transfer to
Details of transfer are to be sent to The Treasurer, Balaklava Eisteddfod Society. Cash payments by mail are unacceptable. Entry is not final until payment is received. * If not paid in 14 days from date of entry form being received, the entry will be automatically archived.
3. Entry fees are not refundable except where a Section is cancelled. Entrants are not entitled to any refund of fees, in cases of non-appearance for any reason.
4. The age of the entrant shall be deemed to be the age of the entrant as at 1 July 2016. The date of birth should be stated on the Entry Form. Entrants shall produce a copy of their birth certificate if asked to do so.
5. Entrants who have been pupils of, or who have been coached by, the Adjudicator of a Discipline in the six months prior to the day of competition are ineligible to enter that Discipline competitively.
6. The Society reserves the unfettered right to:
7. No entrant shall perform the same item in more than one Discipline or Section, unless taking part in the Choral Workshop.
8. An entrant may enter ONCE ONLY in each of the following Sections:
9. a) Prompting or assistance of any kind may not be given to any entrant during performance, except by the Adjudicator or the adjudicator's nominee.
a) Should an entrant leave the stage during a performance for any
cause, that entrant may perform again (time permitting) for comments
If an entrant has won 1st placing in the same section of a discipline in two consecutive years, they must
either perform non-competitively or progress to the next age level.
12. Entrants may perform more than 1 piece provided that the total performing/playing time does not exceed the stated time limit. Contemporary Vocal Discipline is the exception where ONLY 1 piece is allowed.
MUSIC AND DRAMA REQUIREMENTS
13. (a) MUSIC - A legible copy of the music to be performed MUST be provided for the Adjudicator, and submitted to the Booking Officer. The Booking in Office is open 30 minutes prior to the Section on the day of the performance. The entrant must collect this at the close of the Section. Loose-leaf copies must be stapled and numbered. Music copies for Instrumental and Piano Sections must have the bars numbered.
i) Unpublished music will be accepted, but the manuscript must be legible. Instrumental cadenzas must be included with the copy for the Adjudicator and must be legible. If a piece has been composed with accompaniment it may not be played without accompaniment.
ii) All ensembles, except Musical Theatre Ensemble, must include at least 50% of the performance in harmony.
iii) Instrumental Solo pieces may not be excerpts from ensemble pieces.
iv) If a CD is to be used as accompaniment in the Contemporary Vocal Section, the original CD or authorised downloaded copy must be sighted.
v) In Contemporary Vocal Discipline, a legible copy of the lyrics must be provided for the Adjudicator. In ALL other sections, a copy of the printed music is required.
SPEECH AND DRAMA - i) Recitation, Drama, Prose &/or Poetry - A legible copy of a brief Context Statement (Synopsis) and a Script copy for any [Recitation, Drama, Prose or Poetry] piece to be performed MUST be provided for the Adjudicator, and submitted to the Booking Officer. The Booking in Office is open 30 minutes prior to the Section on the day of the performance. Please refer to Rule 19. The entrant must collect material at the close of the Section. Loose-leaf copies must be stapled and numbered.
ii) Public Speaking - Topic as specified in the Syllabus by the Balaklava Eisteddfod Society. A legible copy of the [Public Speaking] piece to be performed MUST be provided for the Adjudicator, and submitted to the Booking Officer at least 30 minutes prior to the Section on the day of the performance. Material must be original and the content appropriate. Please refer to Rule 19.
14. ENTRANTS MUST DISPLAY ORIGINAL MUSIC during their performance. Entrants infringing this Rule will be disqualified unless proof of official authorisation of any PHOTOCOPIED material is produced or unless the music is out of copyright. HOWEVER, a photocopy of the music to be performed may be supplied for the use of the Adjudicator but this copy cannot be returned to the entrant. Neither the Society nor Balaklava Community Arts Inc. will be liable for any copyright infringement.
Note: Print Music - Any downloaded print music from the Internet is to be presented with evidence of ‘authorization for use’ including receipts, and must be sighted by the booking in staff.
** AMCOS|APRA COPYRIGHT DECLARATION FORM **
Available from www.apraamcos.com.au/media/5685/educational-licensing-copyright-declarationform.pdf or from the Balaklava Eisteddfod website, www.balaklavaeisteddfod.org.au/forms.html
Part 1: Performer's Declaration (formerly Form 1)
Part 2: Adjudication Copy (formerly Form 2)
Part 3: Accompanist Copy (formerly Form 5)
Part 4: (not required)
Part 5: Fill in the title and composer of the pieces being performed This form must be completed by all entrants and be presented to the Booking Officer at each venue for each performance.
15. The Society reserves the right to appoint a substitute Adjudicator for the announced Adjudicator, for any reason.
16. Entrants must not communicate with the Adjudicator after the entries have closed and before the end of the Eisteddfod, without the prior written approval of the Secretary. The Society reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who acts in breach of this rule.
17. The Adjudicator’s decision relating to the awards of each Section is final.
18. Entrants who are unable to perform in their nominated Section should notify the Society at least 24 hours beforehand if possible.
19. a) A high standard of personal presentation is considered desirable, and will be taken into consideration by the Adjudicator.
20. No parent or teacher is allowed on or behind the stage UNLESS accompanying or conducting, or rendering assistance AT THE ADJUDICATOR’S REQUEST.
21. a) An opportunity for a family member of an entrant or school representative to take a photo will be given at the conclusion of each performance in a Section, but NOT DURING a performance.
b) A licence to make an audio-visual recording of your own child or school’s performance can be obtained from the AMCOS|APRA website. For personal use you will need a Domestic Use Video Licence . Government Schools are covered automatically by the APRA|AMCOS/ARIA Schools’ Music Recordings and Access Licence. Catholic and Private Schools can check if they have the appropriate licence by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. No videos may be made without a licence which must be presented if requested.
22. Balaklava Community Arts Inc., the Balaklava Eisteddfod Society, any of their servants or agents shall not be liable for any delay, loss or damage to the property of, or any inconvenience caused to, any Entrants, arising from any cause whatsoever.
Entrants who fail to comply with any of the foregoing Rules and Conditions of Entry may be disqualified. The decisions of the Society shall be final in all questions or disputes that relate directly or indirectly to participation in the Eisteddfod by:
Like our Facebook page to get notifications, keep up to date with the latest news
Last updated on 30th March 2016
Copyright © 2007 Balaklava Eisteddfod Society